The First Effective Spray for Preventing Post-Surgical Adhesions
Professors of Surgery Stig Bengmark and Roland Andersson recognized the unmet clinical need for a product that more effectively prevents surgical adhesions. Together with Professors of Physical Chemistry Björn Lindman and Kåre Larsson, they invented BioBarrier™, now developed by BioActive Polymers.
BioBarrier™ adds two separate polypeptides creating a temporary barrier to the development of fibrous adhesion tissues. The solution is easily sprayed in the abdominal surgical site, targeting injured areas on the peritoneum. The spray solution has a goal-seeking effect based on electrostatic forces that enables a visible accumulation of BioBarrier™ on the desired sites. BioBarrier™ seals the wounded peritoneal areas preventing the risk of organs adhering to each other and the abdominal wall.
BioBarrier™ is a non-toxic, biologically degradable product with amino acids as its only end product. The BioBarries™ matrix
disappears from the target areas and body within 30 days.
BioBarrier™ has been studied in more than 1000 animals (established small animal models) where the product shows excellent anti-adhesion effect. These studies also concluded that BioBarrier™ had no negative impact. They suggest that bleeding areas in parenchymal organs are sealed with deceased bleeding as a result. Pre-clinical BioBarrier™ studies have shown no harm to bowel anastomoses, rather a strengthening of the anastomoses is shown by measured bursting pressure. BioActive Polymers’ research team is headed by surgeon Associate Professor Bobby Tingstedt.
Outstanding Published Data*
Very promising result with local spray administration
* see also “SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE”
Convincing Clinical Advantages
Extensive pre-clinical data for BioBarrier™ indicates convincing clinical advantages:
- Goal seeking formula that binds to the injured surface, i.e. site specific protection
- Significant prevention of adhesions (long effect) proven in three different animal models
- Preventing adhesion reformation after adhesiolysis (surgical removal of adhesions)
- User-friendly spray administration, easily applied during all types of surgical procedures (also in laparoscopic surgery)
- Fully biocompatible and biodegradable
- No side effects observed in more than 1000 animals
- No interference with healing:
- Significantly reduced bleeding and inflammation
- Significantly increased burst pressure in bowel anastomoses
- Significant decrease in infections in a perforated bowel model
- No effect on key parameters in fibrosis/fibrinolysis compared to control.
- Long and lasting effect after biodegradation.
- Significantly reduced growth of colon cancer cells.